The tips below have been provided by Giovanni Del Priore, Owner and Pastry Chef at Criveller Cakes, Niagara Falls, Ontario. Criveller Cakes offers a wide assortment of gourmet chocolates, cookies, truffles, custom specialty cakes, Italian pastries, gourmet mini cakes and wedding cakes, of course!
The famous Roman playwright Plautus once stated, “Let us celebrate the occasion with wine and sweet words.”
What can be sweeter than the perfect wedding cake? The origin of the wedding cake can be traced as far back as Ancient times. It symbolized the unity and commitment of the newly married couple. Although the symbolism and tradition remain the same, over the last few decades the selection of wedding cakes has become endless and the task, at times, can be daunting.
How do you choose the perfect wedding cake? As you begin your search for your dream cake, you soon realize the choices are endless. From size to shapes, fillings, flavours, finishes, designs and of course prices; where do you start? At Criveller Cakes, we pride ourselves in making this task as sweet as possible. As one of the owners and pastry chefs, I have advised hundreds of couples on how to select the perfect wedding cake. Here are some tips on how to make this task a piece of cake!
1. Allow 4 to 6 months when booking your wedding cake in order to guarantee style, finish and cake stand availability.
2. Do some research prior to a consultation with your chosen pastry chefs. Bring in pictures or have some ideas ready on how you envision your cake to look. Request a tasting sample of their cake flavours or discuss flavours that you are particularly interested in.
3. Bring in any cake toppers you would like to use in order to be sure it will fit on the chosen cake.
4. Look through the establishments’ wedding cake portfolios and be open to suggestions. Choosing one of their designs may be cost efficient as customized cakes usually carry a higher price.
5. Ask a lot of questions regarding delivery and set up and the fees that the above may entail. Discuss any special requests such as food allergies or dietary considerations.
6. The finish and decoration of your wedding cake is very important since it will be a focal point at your wedding. There are many different finishes to choose from such as rolled fondant, marzipan, butter cream, and various coloured icings. At Criveller Cakes, we also offer our own unique white chocolate signature finish. This cake is definitely the center of attention at any wedding reception as it offers both outstanding flavour and a unique and elegant appearance. It truly symbolizes Romance at its best.
7. Discuss any wedding themes that you would like to tie in with your cake. The use of colours, ribbons, floral designs as well as seasonal decorations can all be taken into considerations.
8. Have an idea on how you are going to serve your wedding cake. Will it be the main dessert or will it be used as part of the sweet table? Knowing how many guests will also help determine the size of cake as that will have an overall impact on the cost.
With all this in mind, remember, above all, your wedding cake should be a reflection of your personalities and style.
Do your research, let your taste buds guide you and enjoy the whole process. At the end of the day your perfect wedding cake will bring you many sweet memories!
Ciao & Auguri,
Giovanni and Leonardo